Monday, April 25, 2011

Marriage….is there a used by date? (Part One)

In a couple of hours, my cable network will be devoting the entire week to the wedding of the century. In 1981, Princess Diana and Prince Charles charmed the entire world with their fairy tale wedding. Prince William, the very fact that he is a prince makes the world sit up, plebians like me want to know how pompous the royal wedding will be. Prince William marrying a commoner would have earned him a few extra brownie points. This was the only thing that made me realized that the monarcy has opened up and have accepted that love meant everything, doesn’t matter Kate Middleton’s parents merely owned a party planning business albeit a rather successful one. I will be witnessing it on telly for the second time, the first when I am 9 and now 31 years later. To some, it may be their first. It will be a educational ride for my boys to see how being born into a royal family, the whole world wants to know you, every single detail that goes into the planning, consisting of security, logistical and every iota will be scrutinized. For me, it will be to know what Kate Middleton’s choice of flowers would be.
With so many weddings you hear about, there’s just about as much number of divorces you know about. Some even very close to home. Think about that aunt of yours, a friend, a sister, a brother or even yourself, who has been through a amicable or ugly divorce. Its so common these days, maybe we should have legalise a drive-thru divorce kiosk. I am sure somewhere around in this planet, some entrepreneurs are already cashing in on this one.
Not dwelling into the contractual obligations in the legal proceedings of a divorce. I just want to know at which point do you say, “listen up mate, I think I had enough of you, I don’t think I am going to spend the rest of my life living with you, goodbye, see you in another life!” I doubt there will ever me such a statement uttered to an ex-spouse. Surely there must be some good times to cherish, right? So how can you turn around and tell this person whom you stood with before the justice, pledging that “only will death do us part”? What happened to the vow? If it didn’t mean anything to you, why say it? Does that mean, marriage is simply an institution? Maybe marriage is passé. Two people in love, living together, have children, why is the marriage paper necessary?
We hear their stories, biased and often we don’t get to hear both sides of the story, its almost impossible to empathise with one and not feel anything for the other. Human beings are not made to be impartial. Lawyers are paid to be partial, so they need to take sides. I want to be on the side of the “victim”, but how sure are you that the other party is not the “victim”? A lawyer friend of mine discouraged my son from taking Law as a profession. Its tough and its miserable, I quote him. My friend refuses to handle divorce cases, it painful he said. This comes from someone who married a public prosecutor.
Maybe human beings are like any other animals, made to mate with multiple partners. So every marriage has a use by date…is that it? Having said that, I often marveled how some folks stay married for 50, 60 years. It’s so amazing, when two people, still holding hands like when they were 16 years old, still got the hots for each other when they are old and feeble, its often an awe, to wonder how they are made for one another probably until they reach the end of their lives. Quite recently, I read of an elderly couple in Canada winning the lottery. They were richer by several million. They gave away their winnings to charity. They are clueless on how to use the money and quite frankly, do they really need the money? That is 100% charity, 0% greed. I would just cringe, oh, just give me 10%, that’s all I need…

Marriage with a used by date? How did that happened? To be continued……

No comments:

Post a Comment