Monday, December 24, 2012

Taipei Interrupted

On a busy street in Ruifang
There's just too many things to savour in Taipei during our short stay of 7 days. Along a narrow one way street on Da An Steet, Royal Palace hotel was spot on, close to the action and main transport line. Unlimited supply of espresso, the much needed wifi, complimentary fresh fruit platter and minibar drinks daily. Even a considerate toilet seat to warm my butt.   I visited the Taiwan Tourism office prior to my trip and they gave me a commemorative EasyCard which we gladly topped up to facilitate commuting. It sure beats fumbling with unfamiliar currency and mind boggling conversions. Train fares are extremely affordable and network highly efficient. Mum had no problem getting a priority seat. Commuters are gracious and impressively orderly for a crowded city like Taipei. What I also noticed was how the city was designed with lots of consideration for people on the go. A little thought really goes a long way.  There were phone charging and wifi stations in train stations for those very desperate moments. While some train stations have no glass panelled barriers, somehow the civility of the commuters makes it less of a worry. Their "stand on right of escalators" took a bit of adjustment. The left-hand drive was enough to make us clowns as we often attempt to open the driver's door when our transfer came to pick us up at the airport.

The city is vibrant and people very hospitable. Maybe they could tell we were tourist and want our buck. The cake shops were irresistably attractive, I felt like a poor child looking into the beautiful shop decked with lots of icing cakes.  While I cannot consider coffee to be their forte, I can see why when every 500m you stumble on Starbucks outlet. Generally cheaper to consume in Taipei.
A view from the top of Jiufen
Street food (dai pai dong), don't get me started. I am not a fan of Thai rice, so when my first bowl of lor bak (braised pork) rice was served, I was surprised that Taiwanese use short grain rice like the Japanese. As I like my rice slight sticky, you can imagine how happy I was. If you patronise at a particular stall, the owners would let you snap a photo or two, the others I would much prefer to wait until they get busy and I shoot. Never attempt to take a picture when they are idle. They are probably too grouchy to bear with a trigger happy me. Was ticked off on two occasion, one was a lady outside a temple selling lotus flower. At Jiufen, I had a mouthful for asking too much, perhaps I should have bought something from her to shut her up, but I was the visitor, she was the host. But they were isolated cases, some were simply happy you took an interest in their products. If you are a foodie, you got to head down here yourself and experience Taiwanese food in its full glory.

Smelly Toufu

The best beef brisket soup on our trip
Mega Sausages
I have no qualms eating from a street vendor as witnessing the general public chowing down their meals quite happily, what's there's to be afraid of getting dysentery. I was more than happy to have a go at where the locals hang out, although the mean stench of the smelly tofu was a wee bit over the top. But as a tourist, I was ready to embrace the country, smell and all.  I'm not sure if I can succinctly journal the essence of Taipei on this 4.5hr flight back home. I somehow have a feeling that there's more of a communal living here than back home. We were utterly tickled how when the garbage truck comes around, a shrilling version of "Fur Elise" fills the the air. We dropped our not so nice coffee and stood there to watch something which we have never seen. Every shop freeze whatever they are doing, made a quick dash to dump their own trash, some even toss their neatly separated trash into a compartmentalized machine. A little section reserved for edible food scraps for feeding animals. No food wastage.

You can skip the big department store like Sogo. Go where the locals go.  The markets are packed with food stuff fit for Chinese New Year.  Waxed and preserved meats everywhere, some are visually not very appealing but I bet Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Food would be very keen to devour.

Climate rocks!  When you are in Singapore, the humidity gets you real bad.  The 15 degree on average was a joy!  No worries of melting make-up.  I love it.

There's just too much to even want to pen it down, I have just realised I had taken over a thousand photos, just a few here to share.  A picture speaks a thousand words.  We are all in denial, but we also love coming home to our own pillows.

Party of 8 @ Dr Sun Yat Sen's Memorial L-R: Me, Paul, Marcus, Gab (nephew), Gerry (sis-in-law), Mum-in-law Irene, Ryan & Peter (Bro-in-law)
Merry Christmas and looking forward to some gastronomical adventures in 2013.
Best wishes to all for the New Year!

Yours,
Shaz





Shopping haven @ Xi Men Ting

Superb Engineering @ Taipei 101
Fab Four at Chiang Kai Shek



I feel safe already!

Marcus, Gabriel & Ryan having sausages...again at Jiufen



At Jiufen, uncle tells me more...

Kong bak bao...yummy!

Fresh seafood prepared right before your eyes

With my sister in law Gerry, having some or luak, zha jiang mian & blood cake soup!

Lor Bak Rice with pickled vegetables - AWESOME!

The upsized...

Markie celebrated his 12th birthday, luv ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment